Hotel recommendations in Cancun, Riviera Maya to Tulum
At this point I would like to put together a small contribution on the subject of places with my hotel recommendations in Cancún, Riviera Maya and Tulum.
I’ll start with Cancún because it’s the quickest 20 minute drive from Cancún airport.
Cancún offers many hotels and also some Airbnb accommodations in the hotel zone that are located directly on the beach. As a rule, these are all-inclusive hotels.
Here are my hotel recommendations in Cancún:
- ” Hyatt Ziva Cancun ” Centrally located, the beach is by far the most beautiful in Cancun, the water is usually calm as a pool, the property is an all-inclusive luxury resort
- ” Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun ” is right next to the Hyatt, the same gorgeous beach and also an all-inclusive luxury temple, the hotel is known in Cancún for its outstanding spa and wellness area
- ” Secrets The Vine Cancun All Inclusive – Adults Only ” beautiful complex, but personally I don’t like the beach there that much because the sea is always very wild
- ” Grand Oasis Cancun – All Inclusive “, certainly not only worth a trip during spring break
- ” Villas Marlin ” is a cheaper hotel alternative, ideal if you are traveling with friends and want to share accommodation
- ” Zona Hotelera, Condominio Ocean Dream “
Cancún offers many beaches that are beautiful, as well as many activities, restaurants, bars and a quite impressive nightlife.
Here are my hotel recommendations on Isla Mujeres:
- ” Mia Reef Isla Mujeres Cancun All Inclusive Resort “, is located directly on Playa Norte, the most beautiful beach on the island
- ” Ixchel Beach Hotel ” is also located on Playa Norte
- “Icaco Island Village ” offers a fantastic view and is a beautiful hotel in the heart of Isla Mujeres, with my code Miami_wi you can even save 10% on your booking there (You can find a video about the hotel here )
My general advice, if you want to vacation on Isla Mujeres, visit the north of the island, there is the “Playa Norte” beach, the highlight of the island, because this beach definitely keeps up with the beaches in Tulum! Isla Mujeres is a very small island. Personally, I prefer the island as a day trip or for one night, as there is nothing going on on the island at night.
There are many restaurants and a few bars, but the lights usually go out around midday. Isla Mujeres is about a 25-minute ferry ride from Cancun for about $16 (round-trip). You should definitely set aside time and rent a golf cart for the day to explore the island. I did it with my bike recently and believe me, with this hilly landscape and the temperatures, I will never do it again in my life! Absolutely not recommended. You can rent the golf car on site and it costs around 700 pesos per day and per car.
The Riviera Maya includes several locations. Puerto Morelos is the first place and is about 40 km south of Cancún. This place offers beautiful hotel facilities. Personally, I don’t like the beaches there very much, as there is more seaweed than, for example, in Cancún at any time of the year. In addition, the water is not turquoise and clear enough for me. I know how this sounds right now, but I’m very spoiled by our beaches in Cancun. Puerto Morelos is a small fishing village, very idyllic, but apart from the hotel complexes there is not much to be found there.
Nevertheless, here are a few of my hotel recommendations in Puerto Morelos:
- ” Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun All Inclusive Adults Only “
- ” Now Jade Riviera Cancun – All Inclusive “
- ” Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun – All Inclusive “
- ” Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa “
The next place on the Riviera Maya is called Playacar, very beautiful beaches and Playa del Carmen can be reached from there in about 15 minutes by car.
Here are my hotel recommendations in Playacar:
- ” The Reef Playacar – All Inclusive “
- ” Panama Jack Resorts Gran Porto Playa del Carmen All Inclusive “
- ” Paradisus La Esmeralda All Inclusive Playa Del Carmen “
- ” Hotel Xcaret Mexico “
For those who like to be right in the middle of things, i.e. in the heart of Playa del Carmen, I would like to give these hotel recommendations in Playa del Carmen:
- ” Thompson Playa del Carmen ” This hotel is also my insider tip if someone wants to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Playa del Carmen. The hotel has a rooftop bar with an infinity pool and a spectacular New Year’s program! Not exactly cheap, but definitely worth the money, since Playa del Carmen is otherwise very crowded, but the atmosphere in the city is great!
- ” Reina Roja Hotel – Adults Only ” is an extraordinary design hotel
- ” The Fives Downtown Hotel & Residences, Curio Collection by Hilton “
- ” Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort ” Coralina Daylight Club is the hotel’s on-site beach club and is very chic. There are parties every day. You should only go there if you are with at least 4 people, as the entrance fee is regulated by buying bottles and these are not exactly cheap. Please also be careful with the waiters, they simply list their tip on the bill and don’t say anything to the “stupid” tourists. I find this manner quite simply outrageous. Tips can, but do not have to be paid!!! 15% of the consumption is common if the service was good. I’m always willing to pay this because unfortunately the salaries are an utter nightmare here in Mexico and the employees mostly survive on tips. However, if you consider these points, the beach club is really great and worth seeing.
All hotels are located in such a way that 5th Avenue, the artery in Playa del Carmen, is within walking distance.
Cozumel is the island that can be reached in about 30 minutes by ferry from Playa del Carmen. There is a lot to see there and I would plan at least 2 days to explore a little of the island. I will also write you a separate post for this.
Here are my hotel recommendations on Cozumel:
- ” Grand Park Royal Cozumel All Inclusive “
- ” Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa “
- ” Hotel B Cozumel Boutique by the Sea “
- Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort
- ” Fiesta Americana Cozumel All Inclusive “
- ” Melia Cozumel Golf All Inclusive “
- ” The Westin Cozumel”
- ” El Cozumeleño Beach Resort – All Inclusive “
Let’s move on to the next place, Puerto Aventuras. Also great beaches and to reach from Playa del Carmen in about 20 minutes by car south towards Tulum.
Here are my hotel recommendations in Puerto Aventuras:
- ” Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort “
- ” Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya – Hacienda All Inclusive “
- ” Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort & Spa – All Inclusive “
- ” Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa – All Inclusive “
- ” Riviera Maya Haciendas – Studio Steps From The Beach “
The next town, about 15 minutes by car to the south, is called Xpu Ha. The beaches are a dream.
Here are a few of my hotel recommendations in Xpu Ha:
- ” Barceló Maya Colonial – All Inclusive “
- ” Barceló Maya Caribe – All Inclusive “
- ” Barceló Maya Beach – All Inclusive “
- ” Barceló Maya Tropical – All Inclusive “
- ” Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort Adults Only – All Inclusive “
Akumal is about 15 minutes drive south of Xpu Ha and is the last town before Tulum. Accordingly, in my opinion, the beaches are already very similar to those in Tulum from Xpu Ha onwards. Akumal is famous for its beach where you can snorkel and swim with giant turtles. But I will also write you another post about this, as it would go beyond the scope here.
Here are my hotel recommendations in Akumal:
- ” Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya All Inclusive-Adults Only “
- ” UNICO 20°N 87°W – Riviera Maya “
- ” The Sian Ka’an at Grand Tulum “
- ” Questzal D7 Bahia Principe Sian Kaan 2BDR Penthouse “
- ” Grand Oasis Tulum “
Finally, my hotel recommendations in Tulum:
- ” Azulik “, more romantic and idyllic you can’t spend the night in Tulum in my opinion, this hotel is a kind of “luxury tree house”, at night the hotel employees come and light candles, because there is no electric light, not cheap, but the fulfillment of many girl dreams
- “ Casa Malca ”, Pablo Escobar’s former villa has been converted into a luxury hotel, truly impressive and beautiful
- “ KoreTulum ” a beautiful all inclusive resort
- “ Dreams Tulum ” also one of the rare all-inclusive hotels
- “ Coco Tulum ” rooms and beach club are a dream and THE location for every blogger or tourist to take pictures
Here are a few cheaper and beautiful hotel recommendations in Tulum that are still right on the beach:
I hope my tips on the subject of “hotel recommendations in Cancún, Riviera Maya and Tulum” will help you with your travel preparations and it wasn’t too much input at once.