My restaurant recommendations in Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum
As so many of you have recently asked me about my restaurant recommendations in Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum, and food is always a good idea, so I finally made this contribution.
Basically, I can say in advance that you can not do too much wrong with the restaurants in the tourist centers, but these restaurants and bars are quite expensive.
I’ll start with my recommendations in Cancun:
- La Playita Restaurante Bar Cancun [Bonampak S/N, Manzana10, Lote 60-62, Supermanzana 4, 77500 Cancún, Q.R.], this restaurant is mainly seafood and fish, it is located on the main Avenida Bonampak, but has a valet parking service and is open from 11:00 am to 02:00 am. I can highly recommend the ceviche there!
- Toro Rojo [ 77500, Av. Bonampak 59, 4, Cancún, Q.R.], is a bar with various dishes. There are also fish dishes, but the main focus is more on meat dishes. Especially recommended are the “Super Nachos”. It is a large portion of nachos with guacamole, minced meat or chicken and the whole thing is baked with cheese. Also offers valet parking and is open between 12:00 pm – 02:00 am. (Located right next to the Playita)
- La Vicenta [Av. Sayil Lote 2. Plaza Azuna Piso 2 SM 6, 77503 Cancún, Q.R.], offers mostly meat dishes and a nice ambience. Parking is possible directly on a free parking lot in front of the restaurant. I celebrated my birthday there because the food is delicious and drinks like gin tonic, mojitos etc. are always served twice. You only pay for one drink and get the second for free. It is open between 01:00 pm – 01:00 am.
- El Gallo Gallo [Av Yaxchilán 1, 17, 77500 Cancún, Q.R] offers typical Mexican dishes and is open from 01:00 pm to 0:00 am.
- Bandoneon [Avenida Bonampak Mz 1 Lt 4 y 5 int sub Ancla Sm A 8, Zona Centro, 77500 Cancún, Q.R.], is an Argentinian steakhouse, not cheap, but the food is delicious and I highly recommend the wine list! There is a valet parking service. It is open between 01:00 pm – 01:00 am.
- Los Aguachiles [Av Nichupte Manzana 4 Lote 1, SM 17, 77505 Cancún, Q.R] offer fish dishes and seafood of all kinds. Particularly recommended are the “Aguachiles”, the Tostadas with tuna or tacos with shrimp and spinach. Anyway, these are my favorites, which I always eat there. The restaurant offers valet parking. However, we always leave our car in the parking lot of Mc Donald´s or on the street. It is open Sunday to Thursday from 01:00 pm to 07:30 pm and from Friday to Sunday from 01:00 pm to 10:00 pm.
- Los Tarascos [Av. Tulum, MZA 13 LTE 01, SM 4, Benito Juárez, 77500 Cancún, Q.R.] Tacos with meat in all variations, I do not know the menu because I do not like meat, but my boyfriend always eats there “tacos al pastor”. It is open Sunday to Thursday from 11:00 am to 03:00 am, Friday and Saturday from 11:00 am to 05:00 am. You can park on the opposite park strip.
- Marbella [López Portillo 5 77525 Cancún, Quintana Roo] This restaurant is probably the most popular seafood restaurant in the city. Value for money agree 100%. It looks very inconspicuous from the outside and can be quickly overlooked when coming from the street. You almost walk into a small kiosk and have to go up the stairs and there you will find the restaurant. It is big and located by the sea. There is no right menu. You order directly fresh shrimp, fish, tacos, etc. as you wish and get large portions. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Cancun. Unfortunately, we rarely go there because you always have to wait without a reservation. You can reserve by phone or through the website, usually for the same day. It is open between 12:00 pm – 08:00 pm.
- Groupers by Marbella [Huayacan sn, Alfredo Bonsil, Cancún, Q.R.], This restaurant is, so to speak, the little sister of Marbella Restaurant. It is also a seafood restaurant and offers a nice ambience. There is a valet parking service, but you will find plenty of on-site parking. It is open between 12:00 pm – 11:00 pm.
- Fish Fritanga [Boulevard Kukulcan Km 12.6, Zona Hotelera, 77500 Cancún, Q.R.], as the name implies a fish restaurant, which is located directly on the lagoon in the hotel zone, but still cheap. We always come for the Pescadillas, they are the best in Cancun. Should you absolutely try! It is open between 11:00 am – 11:00 pm. There is a valet parking service or you can park in one of the nearby shopping centers and walk the little piece.
- Las Hijas de la tostada [Zona Hotelera, 77500 Cancún, Quintana Roo], There are so many delicious Tostadas in all variations. It has a view of the lagoon and is right at the entrance of the hotel zone. You can park next to the Starbucks Drive In. It is open between 0:00 pm – 02:00 am.
- NOMADS [Avenida Carlos Nader, lote 19 , manzana 2, Supermanzana 3, 3, 77500 Cancún, QROO], is a very nice restaurant with a mixed menu. You can only go for a drink, as the ambiance is really nice. Around the Avenida Carlos Nader you will find many restaurants and bars. It’s best to park in a side street and look around there. There is everything from pizza to sushi to gin bar (Nebrina). All restaurants are good and great value for money.
The typical breakfast in Mexico, as it should be otherwise, are Tacos de Canasta, Tacos de Cochinita or Tacos with seafood. They can be bought at every street corner. These are usually small mobile stands or slightly larger stands with a barbecue and a small seating area. To be fair, I have to say that my German stomach turns around at the mere sight. My boyfriend loves this kind of breakfast, but my case is not.
I prefer these cafes for breakfast in Cancun:
- Cafe Antoinette Sucursal Torres [Av Cancún (Torres) esquina con Av kabah, fracc. Porto Bello, Plaza The Village Cancun, Q.Roo] is a French cafe with European breakfast, scrambled eggs, bread and bagels. I can also recommend the sweet tartlets and macarons! Offers valet parking and is open between 07:00 am – 11:00 pm. The Cafe is three times in Cancun, with the other addresses attached, Cafe Antoinette Sucursal Pabellon Cumbres [Pabellón Cumbres, Av Luis Donaldo Colosio Cancun, Q.Roo] this is only open until 10 pm! and Cafe Antoinette Sucursal Xpuhil [Calle Xpuhil, esquina con Av. Nichupte Cancun, Q.Roo]
- The Bowl Bar [Avenida Bonampak Mza 16 Lote 50 77500, Super Manzana 3, 77504 Cancún, Q.R.] I love love it !! There are such delicious bowls of all kinds and healthy things, unfortunately the parking is stupid, as the cafe is located on the Avenida Bonampak, the main street, you have to look in the side street a little or come by scooter. It is open between 08:00 am – 06:00 pm.
- 100 % Natural Cancún [Avenida Sunyaxchen 6, 25, 77509 Cancún, Q.R.] offers delicious juices and a wide selection. You can not only order breakfast, but also tasty and healthy dishes throughout the day. Since it is located in the heart of downtown and offers no valet service you have to look where you park. I recommend parking the car on one of the side streets. It is open between 07:00 am – 11:00 pm.
- Yomm! Healthy Goods [Avenida Bonampak Mz 13 SM 3 Lote 63 y 64, SM 3, 77504 Cancún, Q.R.], small but nice cafe. There are smoothies, sandwiches, pancakes and bowls, open between 08:00 am – 05:00 pm. Valet Parking does not exist, you have to park in one of the side streets.
In Cancun I also recommend the food court in the Puerto Cancun Marina Town Center. There you will find tacos, sushi, pizza, hamburgers, etc. The food court is located directly on the sea and a cheap alternative to the restaurants in Puerto Cancun. The restaurants in Puerto Cancun, I can invariably recommend all and there is something for every taste.
I especially like La No. 20 Cantina, where you can eat delicious typical Mexican food and then end the evening with drinks and then go to a dance bar, as the Vasso Puerto Cancun, Barezzito Puerto Cancun or in a disco “Antique”. For women is always free admission in the Antique and men pay after 1 clock only 200 pesos admission.
My general advice at this point, should you drink alcohol and be it only two beers, please do not drive by car through Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum! There are alcohol controls and should you catch them it goes for the driver for 24 hours in a “sobering prison”. They are not bribery and they do not care if you have a return flight for the next day and you are tourists!
Let’s come to my recommendations in Playa del Carmen:
All restaurants and bars are located on or near the 5th Avenida, so I leave out the parking information.
- Rolandi`s [MZA 8 LOCAL 61, Plaza Paseo del Carmen, 10 Avenida Sur, Centro, 77710 Playa del Carmen] is in my opinion the best pizzeria in the city. It is open between 00:00 pm – 0:00 am.
- Sonora Grill Prime [Calle 12 Nte 251, Gonzalo Guerrero, 77720 Playa del Carmen, QROO], not very cheap, but a very tasty meat restaurant. You should absolutely try a Carajillo (espresso with a dash of liqueur 43) after the meal. They are delicious! Open between 01:00 pm – 02:00 am.
- La No.20 Playa del Carmen [Calle Quinta Avenida 310, Gonzalo Guerrero, 77720 Playa del Carmen, Q.R.], offers a wide selection of typical Mexican dishes. Alternatively you can go there “only” a little drink. Open between 01:00 pm – 04:00 am.
- Los Aguachiles [Calle 34, Centro, Gonzalo Guerrero, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Q.R] offer fish dishes and seafood of all kinds. Particularly recommended are the “Aguachiles”, the Tostadas with tuna or tacos with shrimp and spinach. Anyway, these are my favorites, which I always eat there. It is open Sunday to Thursday from 01:00 pm to 07:30 pm and from Friday to Sunday from 00:30 pm to 09:00 pm.
- Mamita`s Beach Club [Calle 28 Nte., Centro, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Q.R.] is a steak restaurant and is located on the seafront. However, we always eat the ceviche there because it is so delicious. It is open between 09:00 am – 06:00 pm.
- Harry’s Prime Steakhouse & Raw Bar [Calle Quinta Avenida Lote 8B, Gonzalo Guerrero, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Q.R], very tasty, but not exactly cheap steak house. Open between 01:00 pm- 01:00 am.
- Bovinos Churrascaría [Avenida 10 S/N, Centro, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Q.R.], Brazilian all you can eat steakhouse, delicious and it offers a great variety of. It is open between 00:00 pm – 00:30 am.
- Deck 5 Pool and Skybar [Calle 8 Norte 876, Centro, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Q.R.], is right on the beach with a sensational view. You can not only eat there, but also drink a cocktail or two. It is open between 09:00 am – 11:00 pm.
- Hola Bangkok [5ta. Av. interior Plaza San Pedro, entre calle 34 y 38, Centro, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Q.R.], There is a huge selection of delicious Thai dishes. It is open between 01:00 pm – 0:00 am.
- La Bodeguita del Medio [5ta Avenida Esq. Calle 34 Norte, Gonzalo Guerrero, 77720 Playa del Carmen, Q.R.], If you want to have a really tasty mojito, you should definitely stop by. It is a Cuban restaurant. The food looks very good, but we always come here for the mojitos. It is open between 01:00 pm – 02:00 am.
If you want to eat European breakfast, I highly recommend the Café Antoinette [Calle 1 Sur s / n, Centro, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Q.R.] in Playa del Carmen.
Let’s get to my restaurant recommendations in Tulum:
- Taqueria Honorio [Satélite Sur, Tulum, Q.R.], this is the taco stand from my Instagram stories. My boyfriend always eats his tacos there. There are Tacos de Conchinita Pibil. They should be the best in the world. Even in Cancun there is nothing comparable. I can not judge that because I hardly eat meat. It is open between 06:00 am – 02:00 pm.
- Del Cielo [Av. Satelite Sur 5, Centro, 77760 Tulum, Q.R.] while my boyfriend is having breakfast his tacos I always go there to have breakfast. There are healthy items for breakfast, such as bowls, eggs, fruits, etc. It is open between 08:00 am – 03: 00 pm.
- Sabor de Mar [Calle Júpiter Sur, Tulum, Q.R.] is a seafood restaurant and a real insider tip in Tulum, at least among the tourists. As it is so popular among the locals, it may happen that you have to wait for a free table. It is open between 11:00 am – 10:00 pm.
- El Gourmet [Calle Beta Sur Esq. Venus Ote., 77780 Tulum, Q.R.], There are paninis and Italian delicacies. I like the atmosphere there very well. It is open between 10:00 am -06: 00 pm.
- Raw Love Beach [Carr. Tulum-Boca Paila Km 7. 5, Tulum 77760, Mexiko], There are so many delicious healthy and vegan things, such as bowls and smoothies. The ambience is also very nice here. It is open between 09:00 am – 06:00 pm.
- Matcha Mama [Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila 8.2, Tulum 77780, Mexico ], There are delicious smoothies with matcha and bowls. And I think it’s one of the blogger scenes in Tulum. There I also made the pictures for the post. It is open between 08:00 am – 08: 00 pm.
- Los Aguachiles [Chetumal-Cancun, Centro, 77760 Tulum, Q.R.] offer fish dishes and seafood of all kinds. Particularly recommended are the “Aguachiles”, the Tostadas with tuna or tacos with shrimp and spinach. Anyway, these are my favorites, which I always eat there. It is open between 01:00 pm – 09:00 pm.
- Pizzeria Manglar [ Asunción, Manzana 38, Lote 2. Entre calle y Av. Tulum. Quintana Roo., Calle Coba, La Veleta, 77780 Tulum, Q.R.] is the best pizzeria in Tulum with a great value for money. It is open between 05:00 pm – 11:00 pm.
- La Zebra Tulum Beach Restaurant & Bar [Carretera Tulum A Boca Paila | La Zebra Hotel, Tulum 77780, Mexiko], a beautiful restaurant on the beach, offering Mexican food and seafood. Open between 00:00 pm – 07:00 pm.
- Panna e Cioccolato [Av. Tulum 72, Tulum 77400, Mexiko ], If you feel like having a delicious ice cream, you should check it out here! Open between 10:00 am – 11:30 pm.
If you’re in Tulum take some cash with you. Many restaurants do not accept credit cards!
I hope you continue to help my recommendations and wish you a lot of fun trying it!