Hotel recommendations in Cancun, Riviera Maya to Tulum
At this point I would like to put together a small contribution around the topic places and their accommodations.
I start with Cancún as it is a 20-minute drive from Cancún airport.
Cancún offers many hotels in the hotel zone as well as some Airbnb accommodations, which are located directly on the beach. As a rule, these are all-inclusive hotels.
Here are a few hotels that I particularly like in Cancun:
- “Hyatt Ziva Cancun“centrally located, the beach is by far the nicest in Cancún, the water is usually quiet as a pool, the resort is an all-inclusive luxury resort
- “Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun” is located adjacent to the Hyatt, same fabulous beach and also an all-inclusive luxury temple, the hotel is known in Cancún for its outstanding spa and wellness area
- “Secrets The Vine Cancun All Inclusive – Adults Only” beautiful grounds, but I personally like the beach there not so good, because the sea is always very wild
- “Grand Oasis Cancun – All Inclusive” certainly not only worth a visit at Spring Break
- “Villas Marlin” cheaper alternative hotel, ideal for traveling with friends and sharing accommodation
- “Zona Hotelera, Condominio Ocean Dream“
Cancún has many beautiful beaches, lots of activities, restaurants, bars and a great nightlife.
Here are a few hotels that I particularly like on Isla Mujeres:
- “Mia Reef Isla Mujeres Cancun All Inclusive Resort” located just off Playa Norte, the most beautiful beach on the island
- “Ixchel Beach Hotel” is also located on Playa Norte
- “Icaco Island Village” offers a gorgeous view and is a beautiful hotel in the heart of Isla Mujeres, with my code Miami_wi you can even save 10% on your booking (you can find a video about the hotel here)
My general advice, if you want to spend your holidays on Isla Mujeres, you have to visit the beach “Playa Norte”, the highlight of the island, because this beach definitely keeps up with the beaches in Tulum! Isla Mujeres is a very small island. Personally, I prefer the island as a day trip or for one night, because at night on the island nothing is going on.
There are many restaurants and a few bars, but usually around 12 clock the light goes out. Isla Mujeres can be reached from Cancún by ferry for about 16 USD (round trip) in about 25 minutes. Be sure to plan your time and rent a golf car for the day to explore the island. I did that on a bicycle a little while ago and believe me, I will never do that again in my life with this hilly landscape and temperatures! Absolutely not recommended. The golf car can be rented locally and costs around 700 pesos per day and per car.
The Riviera Maya includes several places. Puerto Morelos is the first town and is located about 40 km south of Cancún. This place offers beautiful hotel facilities. Personally, I do not really like the beaches there, because there are more seaweed than at any time of the year in Cancún, for example. Besides, the water is not turquoise and clear enough for me. I know how it sounds, but I am very spoiled by our beaches in Cancún. Puerto Morelos is a small fishing village, very idyllic, but apart from the hotel grounds you will not find so much there.
However, here are some hotels in Puerto Morelos that I really like:
- “Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun All Inclusive-Adults Only“
- “Now Jade Riviera Cancun-All Inclusive“
- “Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun-All Inclusive“
- “Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa“
The next town on the Riviera Maya is called Playacar, very beautiful beaches and Playa del Carmen can be reached from there in about 15 minutes by car.
Here are my recommendations in Playacar:
- “The Reef Playacar – All Inclusive“
- “Panama Jack Resorts Gran Porto Playa del Carmen All Inclusive“
- “Paradisus La Esmeralda All Inclusive Playa Del Carmen“
- “Hotel Xcaret Mexico“
If you like being in the middle of the action, in the heart of Playa del Carmen, I recommend these hotels:
- “Thompson Playa del Carmen” This hotel is also my tip for anyone wanting to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Playa del Carmen. The hotel has a rooftop bar with infinity pool and a spectacular New Year’s Eve program! Not very cheap, but definitely worth the money, as Playa del Carmen otherwise very crowded, but the atmosphere in the city is terrific!
- “Reina Roja Hotel – Adults Only” is an exceptional design hotel
- “The Fives Downtown Hotel & Residences, Curio Collection by Hilton“
- “Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort” Coralina Daylight Club is the in-house beach club of the hotel and very chic. There are daily parties. You should go there only if you are with at least 4 people, because the price of the admission is regulated to the purchase of bottles and they are not cheap. Also, please be careful with the waiters, who simply list their tips on the bill and say nothing to the “stupid” tourists. This way I find simply outrageous. Tipping can, but does not have to be paid !!! 15% of the consumption is usual if the service was good. I always pay that, as salaries are a complete nightmare here in Mexico and most of the employees have to survive on tips. However, considering these points the beach club is really great and worth seeing.
All hotels are located nearly to the 5th Avenue, it´s the pulse artery in Playa del Carmen. It is a 5 minutes walk.
Cozumel is the island that can be reached in about 30 minutes by ferry from Playa del Carmen. There is a lot to see and I would plan at least 2 days to explore the island a bit. Again, I will write you a separate post for this.
Here are my hotel recommendations on Cozumel:
- “Grand Park Royal Cozumel All Inclusive“
- “Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa“
- “Hotel B Cozumel-Boutique by the Sea“
- “Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort“
- “Fiesta Americana Cozumel All Inclusive“
- “Melia Cozumel Golf All Inclusive“
- “The Westin Cozumel”
- “El Cozumeleño Beach Resort – All Inclusive“
Let’s go to the next town, Puerto Aventuras. Also great beaches and from Playa del Carmen in about 20 minutes south to Tulum.
Here is a selection of my favorites in Puerto Aventuras:
- “Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort“
- “Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya – Hacienda All Inclusive“
- “Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort & Spa- All Inclusive“
- “Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa – All Inclusive“
- “Riviera Maya Haciendas – Studio Steps From The Beach“
The next town again about 15 minutes south located is called Xpu Ha. The beaches are a dream.
Here are some of my favorite hotels in Xpu Ha:
- “Barceló Maya Colonial – All Inclusive“
- “Barceló Maya Caribe – All Inclusive“
- “Barceló Maya Beach – All Inclusive“
- “Barceló Maya Tropical – All Inclusive“
- “Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort Adults Only – All Inclusive“
Akumal is about 15 minutes drive from Xpu Ha further south and the last place before Tulum. Accordingly, the beaches in my opinion are already very similar to those in Tulum from Xpu Ha. Akumal is famous for its beach for snorkeling and giant tortoises. But I will also write you another post, because it would go beyond the scope here.
Here are my next favorites, this time in Akumal:
- “Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya All Inclusive-Adults Only“
- “UNICO 20°N 87°W – Riviera Maya“
- “The Sian Ka’an at Grand Tulum“
- “Questzal D7 Bahia Principe Sian Kaan 2BDR Penthouse“
- “Grand Oasis Tulum“
Finally my hotel recommendations in Tulum:
- “Azulik“, more romantic and idyllic you can not sleep in Tulum in my opinion, this hotel is a kind of “luxury tree house”, at night comes the hotel staff and lights candles, because there is no electric light, not cheap, but the fulfillment of many girl dreams
- “Casa Malca“, the former villa of Pablo Escobar has been converted into a luxury hotel, really impressive and beautiful
- “KoreTulum”a beautiful all-inclusive resort
- “Dreams Tulum” also one of the rare all-inclusive hotels
- “Coco Tulum” Coco Tulum” room and beach club are a dream and for any blogger or tourist THE location to take pictures
Here are a few cheaper and beautiful hotels that are still located on the beach:
I hope my tips will help you on your travel arrangements and it was not too much input at once.